Saturday, June 10, 2006

Where I render unto Caesar

Growing up, I had a great work ethic modeled to me. My Mom was always doing a million different things to provide for us boys, my brother was always working, my grandfather was incredibly industrious inspite of his arthritis, my Dad worked for one company for 35 years! I knew what it was like to work, and to work hard. Sadly, when I was first married, I couldn't keep a job to save my life.

I was one of those guys that would look for any and every excuse not to work. I would look outside and if the sky was clear and the birds were singing, I'd have to sluff work and go play. Needless to say, that isn't a very stable environment for a family or for your wife. I did all kinds of jobs when we first got married. I used to cut fabric for Kelty Pack in St. George... unitl I got fired. Then, I drove a truck delivering meat for Monarch Meat company... until I got fired. I worked for the United Consumer's Club... until I got fired. Then, I worked for Imperial Diaper Service delivering clean diapers and picking up dirty ones... BUT I didn't get fired from that job... I joined the U.S. Air Force instead. But you can see the pattern. The weird thing was, it didn't start until I got married. While in high school, I kept a job the entire time, and only left when I went to college. Hmmm... feminine influence? I don't know!

To say that I'm NOT doing what I thought I'd grow up doing would be an understatement. I am an Instructional Designer for a company that does Environmental Consulting. I've been in the training field for nigh on 20 years now. Basically what I do is design and write training for the Web and for Computer-based applications - with an instructor-led course thrown in here and there for good measure. It involves taking content from a client on a given subject, and organizing it in such a way so that the learner will retain it and gain and understanding of policies, procedures or needed/required information for their job, or to meet and comply with federal environmental laws. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd grow up and do this. I figured I'd be on stage on Broadway, or that I'd be a commercial artist, or that I'd be doing something exotic... but sitting at a desk using MS Office applications for a living? Never!

The good thing about this job is that I love it. This company is awesome, and the job is very satisfying. I'm making a bit less money than I have at other places, but the pay off of having wonderful co-workers, a great work environment, and excellent leadership has it's value too. The best thing about this company is that they still have integrity. That is very important to me.

My office as you walk in... notice the nice view?

I love the fact that I have a window - even if it does look out on the wall of another building. The natural light is wonderful for well-being, and as you can see, my plants need it too. I open the blinds all the way so I can get as much light as possible. Everyone keeps bringing me their plants that are dying. For some reason I've developed a green-thumb. I've brought many plants back from the grave. They add a lot to a work place.


The right side of my desk - facing the windows

In this image you can see the hugging teddy bears Chris gave me for Valentine's Day. They're there to remind me of how much I am loved! The plant at the right above the Sports Illustrated was given to me by a good friend when my father died. I've managed to keep it alive, and it's thriving. Every time I look at it, I'm reminded of my Dad, and all he means to me. Every time it gets a new blossom on it, I'm reminded that life goes on, and Dad would have me make the most of it. It's my favorite plant. It has four different kinds of plants. Nice variety. You can see a picture of Simon on the window sill, and right next to my monitor, a very nice picture of Chris smiles out at me all the day long. What a good looking woman!


The left side of my desk - my bulletin board

Here you can see a small ficus bush beneath the lamp behind the picture of my family. I also got this plant from my father's funeral. It literally died on me about two months ago. I didn't know what to do, and it broke my heart that it died - just like my dad... So, I trimmed it back to the trunks, literally cutting off everything but the main branches, and prayed. Shortly, it EXPLODED in new growth and has filled out nicely. It trim it back all the time to keep it small, and it's as important to me as the other plant from my father's funeral. This one for another reason though... it illustrates renewal, and rebirth... it gives me hope. My bulletin board is filled with pictures of my family. I've covered the area I work in with family, love and light. Of course, there is the ever-present baseball, and a coffee-table book of Ken Burns' "Baseball"... given to me by a co-worker. I love baseball.


My computer and monitors

Here is my computer and what I look at most of the day. The tennis ball is to work out knots in my back when it gets tired. I love the riser my flat-panel monitor's on. It allows enough room to put Chris's picture there. When I get frustrated, or when things are hard, I look at her, and remember why I do what I do.

My work ethic has changed tremendously. When I first joined the Air Force and tried to "call in sick," I was in for a rude awakening. My supervisor said, "Airman Hunter, you will get your ass into the infirmary right now. And if the doctor says you're sick, then you're sick. Otherwise, you're AWOL and you're going to jail." I FREAKED OUT! I panicked! I didn't expect this kind of response! I told Chris and we were in a sheer panic trying to figure out what the hell to do! Finally, we put a light colored base make up on my face, and we created dark circles under my eyes and prayed! LOL... we'll, we went into the infirmary and had done such a good job on the make up and the acting job that the doctor put me on quarters for THREE DAYS!! It was the worst three days of my life. I didn't dare set foot outside my house for fear I'd be busted and go to Levenworth! I was terrified! BUT... I learned a lesson. I never did that again. I look back on that experince now and laugh, but I was absolutely certain I was going to Ft. Levenworth, KA - where the inmates make big rocks into little rocks, little rocks into gravel, gravel into sand, sand into concrete, concrete into big rocks, big rocks into little rocks, little rocks... well... you get the point. Moral of the story? If you're not on your death bed, go to work. PERIOD.

I think the lesson was learned a little too hard though. When I got out of the Air Force, the next job I had was at a software company developing video games. In the first five years working there, I never took a single day off, nor did I miss a single day out sick. They finally told me if I didn't take some of my vacation time, I'd loose it. I had accrued almost 60 days of vacation time! I've since learned some balance. Even though I have AS/PS, I still work every day, and rarely ever take time off. But, when I don't feel good, I stay home, and I try to plan days off for important times in our family. But I NEVER fake it any more, and nine times out of ten Chris has to threaten me with my life if I try to leave for work when I'm sick. From one extreme to another? Sure. But I'm finally learning balance. I love my job. I'm blessed to have it. But I know when to stop and smell the roses, and when to slow down and heal.

This is me... take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment