Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Blue Heron that turned out to be a Red Herring!



Last spring, my wife told me she had seen a blue heron in a pond near our house. She was very excited about it, so I got my camera and rapidly drove over to the place. And sure enough, there it was, standing majestically in the pond, still and still could be. I excitedly, but quietly got out of the car and snuck up to the very best vantage point. Holding my breath, I lifted my camera, zoomed in just a bit, let my breath out slowly, and "click click!" I had my shot!

The heron didn't move at all! So I carefully began moving around the edge of the pond, being careful not to startle this amazing bird. I skirted the angry Canadian geese that were nesting, sent the ducks wildly into the pond screaming their protests in aggressive quaking, and I even braved the several swans that live year-round in this pond to get my shots.

My heart was thrilling! I felt like I should be on a calendar! Who would believe such a bird was here in Utah, resting in a little pond at the base of the canyons!? I was certain I was going to be famous! I took probably 25 or 30 pictures of this regal bird who held stock still for my prowess behind the lens!

Once I had made a full circuit around the pond, even getting the most amazing close up of it's head and eye, I made it back to my car and hurried home! Boy, was I excited! It had still been there, and I had the proof!

As soon as I got home, I hurried into my computer and downloaded the images out of my camera. As I was slowly going through my pictures and admiring the work I'd done, my 16 year old son came in and asked me, "Dad, why did you take so many pictures of a decoy?"

"WHAT?" I shouted, "What do you mean DECOY? This is a beautiful blue heron! They rarely ever come to Utah, and certainly not this close to the mountains! You obviously don't know what you're talking about!"

"Really," he said with heavy sarcasm in his voice, "If it's alive, then why is there a metal pole shoved up it's butt?"

I swung my gaze back to my monitor and took in the amazing sight of an aluminum rod holding up a plastic blue heron.

This is me... Take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment