Saturday, June 03, 2006

Simon - MY little Guy



This is Simon. He's MY (and I DO mean MY) Boston Terrier. We came by Simon in an interesting way. When my daughter was sharing a house with a friend of hers, they got this dog (at that time named Blix). He wasn't very good around kids, and when Simon/Blix had had enough of their little boy beating on him with toys, torturing him and jumping on him, Simon/Blix bit him. Well, the husband of Lindsay's friend decided he was going to kill this dog - he was that angry. Linz rescued him and brought him to our house. The last thing we needed was another dog, already having THREE Boxers... but there was something about this little guy.

Since then we re-named him Simon. Why? Because we're big believers in dogs acting like their names. When we got Keats (long story... I'll tell it some day...), he was named "Cleatus" and he acted like a red-neck butthead. Once we gave him a more refined name (after poet John Keats), he began to behave better! (It's true... honestly it is!) Well, Blix was a name associated with a neurotic dog that was scared of everyone, had been abused, and was kept in a kennel for 14 hours a day... NOT a good situation. So we decided he needed a new start - and that began with a new name. My oldest son Drew suggested Simon, and it stuck. Now, while he's still a little neurotic, he is a totally different dog.

He is MINE, because I am HIS human. We bonded like I've never bonded with another dog. When I am in a lot of pain and not feeling well, he KNOWS it! I'm not kidding. When I'm having a flare and am in bed, he sticks to me like glue. I don't know how to say this, but he is my lifesaver. He keeps me sane. Helps me cope. Knows when I just need to hold on to him. I love him more than any dog I've ever had. He is mine, and I am his. My wife thinks our relationship borders on the sick and wrong - LOL - but we're cool... I just need him in my life. I'm very VERY grateful to have him.

This is me... take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment