Monday, June 12, 2006

It's Our Anniversary... 9 + 14 = 23!

We've beat the National Average - TWICE!

On February 4, 1983 I married Chris. I was only 19 and Chris was 18. Looking back on it now, I think we were nuts! But, given the opportunity to do it all over again, I'd only marry Chris... I may wait a couple years, but ONLY Chris. We were married in Payson in Chris's parents house. Both of us head over heels in love with eachother. Eyes full of eachother and hearts overflowing with love. Just over a year later, we had Lindsay, and then it was off to the U.S. Air Force, and our world travels.

9 years and two kids later, we destroyed our marriage. How isn't important now, we both had a hand in it, but it was ugly. We ended up getting divorced and I left the U.S. for Iceland where I was going to be for a year. During that time Chris and I did what we needed to do to find love for eachother again. We basically hit the reset button and went back to being friends, talking and remembering why we loved eachother so very much. I really wish we had Instant Messenger back then. I averaged $3 -400 every month I was there on my phone bill! As we worked through our issues, we found out what good friends we are and started to repair the damage done. I came home from Iceland on my way to Scott AFB, Illinois, and got to spend 30 days at home with my kids and Chris. Chris and I decided to take a road trip to New Mexico to go see my sister, and while we were there Chris and I decided that we really did love eachother, and that we needed to be together for good. We came home from New Mexico and put together an absolutely wonderful wedding in two weeks. Chris was gorgeous, my kids looked great, and the Pastor who married us said exactly what we wanted. Taking communion as a family once we were married again was amazing.

June 12, 1992... 14 years ago today. We were married in Chris's sister Darian's back yard, and it was awesome. The statistics of second marriages to the same person are pretty grim - worse that the statistics for a second marriage to a stranger. The National average for marriages these days is only 6 years, and the divorce rate is nearing 60%. Well, it really is better the second time around, and our marriage is better than it ever was, and ever has been. While I was in Iceland I was serving a remote tour where Chris and the Kids couldn't have been there anyway, and the time we were seperated - just shy of six months, really don't count in our eyes because of the amazing amount of work we put into our relationship - so all totalled, we've been married for 23 years... but we've been together 24.

I certainly realize the amazing gift that Chris is in my life. The bible says that "a worthy wife is a crown for her husband." (Prov. 12:4) The way I understand that is a wonderful wife makes her husband look good, and in turn, the husband gets to present his bride to the world as a precious jewelled crown... something to be respected and admired. I've discovered that Chris finishes me and makes me look good all the time, and I am always proud to have her with me, beside me, and by my side. I love being with Chris. I don't think there are words enough to express how much I love my wife, and how beautiful she is to me. Every day it gets better and better, and every day I realize how fortunate I am to have her in my life. I would never have believed it, but 23 years has passed like only a few minutes - and I look forward to growing old with her. I am stunned when I think that my Mom and Dad made it this long and then called it quits. Chris's parents made it over 30 and walked away... I'm thankful we've done the walking away part already. I'm ready to spend every minute of my remaining life in the company of this wonderful woman.

Chris - I love you. The thought of going through my life without you scares me to death. There is no one I want to be with more than you. You are beautiful inside and out to me. You are all I desire, but certainly more than I deserve. I want to capture every moment, every memory, every touch, every heartbeat, and keep it in my heart. I want to be consumed in you.

Thank you for being my wife. Thank you for your love and tenderness. Thank you for putting me first, and making me feel so very important and especially so loved. Every day - every minute with you improves over the last. Twenty-three and counting... and my prayer is for long life and to enjoy every moment of it with you. Thank you for the best 23 years of my life.

I love you so very much. I am fortunate...VERY VERY fortunate!

This is me... take it or leave it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, what do you know? You're a blogger, too! I hope you don't expect to see Todd on here...he can barely send an email, nor does he have the time! I just sat here and read most of your posts, and you know what is really cool? I learned so much about you that I didn't already know! Cool, but kinda sad, too. You're my brother-in-law, and after reading this, I feel I hardly know you. But, hopefully that will change now. I started blogging last October, with a group of friends, so we could all keep in touch with each others lives better from a distance. I haven't done much lately, but I'm trying to keep up because I do enjoy getting things off my chest and sharing things about my life with people I care about. So, I hope you'll come on over and take a look sometime.
    By the way, congrats to you and Chris! That was quite a tribute to her, and you guys are an inspiration!
    Love you,
    Mar

    ReplyDelete