Wednesday, June 28, 2006

St. George! (Even if it was 110 degrees!)

The smile is real, and it's there for a GOOD reason!

There are times in your life when you just have to throw your hands up in the air and "get the heck out of Dodge!" This was one of those times. The weeks leading up to this event had been stress filled for both Chris and I. We knew we really needed to get away. So, we decided to pick up and take off for St. George to visit my little sister Lisa and her husband Mark. I look happy in this picture, because I AM!

Mark and his Mormon Urban Assault Vehicle, or MUAV

Mark is fastidious about his cars. One of the things that shocked me when I met Mark was his almost obsessive car detailing. Not only did they need a big car - with FOUR boys, but they were always NICE cars. Just before this land yacht, Mark had is Grandpa-Mobile - his DREAM car - and Lincoln Town Car. Sadly it died an untimely death in an auto accident. They replaced it with this stunning example of a high-tech Mormon Urban Assault Vehicle - or MUAV. Why MUAV? Well, traditionally, Mormons do their part to replenish the Earth, Mars, Venus, and most of Jupiter... and to haul the brood around, they need ROOM - hence the need for a MUAV.

Mark making sure we don't leave fingerprints!

Like I said, Mark is crazy about his cars. While we were in St. George, the kids took the MUAV to the beach (at the local lake) and Mark complained the entire time we were down there about how long it takes to get sand out of the carpet in his MUAV. Poor Mark... Poor, poor Mark. Actually, Mark is one of my favorite people on the planet. He takes teasing very well, and has a great sense of humor. He is a snappy dresser, and most of all, he treats my little sister like a queen. If he didn't, I'd snap him in two like a toothpick... like the toothpick he is! (Just teasing Mark.) Below is one of my favorite pictures ever of Mark and I. We were on an outdoor hike together, and Mark being the cold blooded little critter he is, he was freezing... I was teasing... situation normal!

He looks like he's in pain because he probably is. Mark has arthritis in his body - which is why he moved his family (and MY little sister) to St. George. When he comes up to Salt Lake City, it can be 80 degrees and Mark will be looking for a sweater! I understand the desire to get away from pain, and if I really thought it would do me much good, I'd consider moving there myself. Fact is, when I'm down there, I can't see any marked difference in my pain level. If anything, it's worse, but I think that's because I decompress at Lisa and Mark's house, and all that tension leaving causes pain. I keep threatening Mark that I'm going to come down and kidnap my sister... and then Lisa will pipe up and tell me that she'd never do that to Mark... she cares about him like Chris cares about me. They are two servant women who love their husbands very very much. Mark won't move up to SLC, and I won't move down to St. George... I proposed Cedar City, but everyone said no. Oh well.

Mark and Lisa model love and kindness everywhere they go.

Every time I look at Mark and Lisa as a couple, I'm always amazed at the support and love they give eachother. Lisa is a servant to the core, and Mark is a gentle, loving husband. Their kids worship the ground they walk on, and all of the neighborhood calls their house "home." It says a lot about the people who run the place. They are not only fun, but an inspiration too.

Chris and I love each other so much... I'm very lucky.

That's one thing I never have to worry about. I know that Chris loves me, but I see it in the way she serves me and empties herself to SHOW me. We have our stresses sure, but I've never doubted how much we love eachother. We REALLY needed this time together. It was a good trip.

A RARE moment for me... I normally don't spill...
I leave that up to Chris!

Normally, I don't spill, but this time I discovered I had an as yet, undiscovered HOLE IN MY LIP!! I ended up pouring my iced tea down the front of myself. It's such an unusual occurance for me that we had to chronicle it.

Decisions, decisions! A favorite pass-time in St. George:
THE OUTLET MALL!

On the last day we were in St. George, we went to the Outlet Mall. We walked all over, found some YUMMY candy, spent a LOT of time in the shoe store (a weakness we all share), and I ended up getting an AWESOME deal on some pots in which to put all of the plants in my office. This sort of wore me out to walk all over, but it was so nice to spend time together. There are more exciting things to do in Southern Utah - such as Zion's, Kolob Canyon, Arches etc., but it was just too dang hot to be outside for long. It was dash from air-conditioned spot to air-conditioned spot... not a fun way to live if you ask me.

Mongolian Bar-B-Que... so good Lisa couldn't wait!

Besides shopping, our favorite pass-time in St. George is eating. And eating. AND EATING! We always have a blast going to fun and different restaurants. This time our focus was of an Asian flavor. First night there we went to Gimme Sum... a place like Noodles and Co. in SLC. It was great! Our last meal together down there was at a Mom and Pop Mongolian BBQ place that was awesome! Like normal, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, and we blessed Lisa with lunch the following day! MMMM soooo good!

The smiles are real... we love eachother a lot.
THANK YOU Mark and Lisa!

A fitting end to a wonderful time was to sit together and show on our faces the feeling in our hearts. Happiness, joy, contentment, and peace. Staying with Mark and Lisa is a relaxing and wonderful time. They cater to your every whim and spoil you rotten! After pushing so hard on Friday and Saturday, I couldn't get out of bed on Sunday, so I slept all day. But Chris and Lisa carried on in fine fashion. They scrapbooked the hours away and did what best friends do - laugh, cry, share and love. That Chris and Lisa are best friends is an understatement. I love to see them together. I am so grateful they love eachother. Our time together is special, and I always make sure to check out of the picture for a while so these two can have their fun too.

Mark and Lisa are a vital and important part of my life. Without them I would be so empty. Thank you Mark and Lisa for openning your home to us, and making us feel so welcome. I love that we can laugh 'til it hurts, cry with eachother, love unconditionally, and genuinely touch each other's souls. You guys mean the world to me. Thank you.

This is me... take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment