Sunday, July 02, 2006

My office is goin' to pot!

When my father passed away, I chose a couple of plants from the funeral to put it my office. I figured that one of the best ways to remember my father was through something living - the plants. With my recent trip to St. George, I got a great deal on wonderful glazed pots from Tuesday Morning. I took the pots, a bag of potting soil and some Spanish Moss for the top and repotted them all.

This basket plant was given to us by a friend from my work

I loved the fact that there were so many different plants in one basket, but the Ivy was starting to really take off, and the other plants were blooming too, so it really needed to be broken up.

I chose to put the Ivy in it's own little pot so it could grow larger and fuller. The other plants I spread out and gave each a little more room. I don't think I have a green-thumb, but everyone has been dropping off their plants lately to be brought back to life. I love how they make my office feel, and everyone in the office wants to get more plants now!

The tall plant with the spoon-shaped blossoms really touched my heart. About a week after Dad's funeral, I was feeling particularly sorrowful, when I looked up and saw that a new blossom was coming up from this plant. When it first opens, it's brilliant white. I felt that inspite of all of the sorrow and pain we'd experienced the last few weeks that life goes on. Life continues to sprout new growth. The blossoms gave me the needed relief from my pain that day.

The pots I picked up are all natural tones and highly glazed. The two from the basket are in brown, my little Ficus tree is in green, and my China Doll from Chris is in a deep ocean blue. I couldn't believe my good luck in getting these pots on sale. The lady at the store told me I should come back the next day because they were going to be an additional 30% off! I told her we were leaving that afternoon, and asked if she would be kind enough to give it to me anyway - and she said YES! I got all four pots for only $23! When we had checked Home Depot and a couple other places, a pot the size of the large one pictured here would have cost that alone! What a deal!

My plants give me a warm work atmosphere. I put on my headphones, look at my plants and don't feel as though I'm "toiling for the man" so-to-speak. They've made my office feel very homey.


This is me... take it or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment