Sunday, July 09, 2006

Is there anything better in the WHOLE WORLD??

Is there anything in the world as wonderful as a baseball game? Is there anything quite so awesome as the crowd, the sounds, the atmosphere? I'd have to say no!

Rob and I go to baseball games at the local AAA Angel's affiliate, the Salt Lake Bees every chance we get. Rob's able to get tickets from his work, and he's always kind enough to invite this old cripple!

In-field view from under the deck

The concourse is filled with eager fans buying dogs and beer, and with lots of kids in their little league uniforms. I used to go to games with my dad back in the day when the Gulls played in SLC. Of course, the field was different then. This is the new Franklin Covey Field, and it has one of the very best views in the entire world.

Hot dogs, cotton candy, cold beer and "getcher programs heah!"

There is nothing so wonderful as the view from FC Field in the spring. We went Friday night, so most of the snow is gone off the peaks, but in the spring when the clay is red, the grass is green, the sky is blue, and the snow is still half way down the mountains, it takes your breath away. Even in the summer heat, the view of the scoreboard and beyond is beautiful!

Checking the score always gives you an amazing view!

The infield has a good view too!

I asked the lady in front of me (who had the nerve to be reading a book during the game) to take a picture of Rob and I. She seemed intimidated by the technology of a digital camera, and I was finishing up giving her instructions... HONESTLY! I really wasn't pursing my lips in an unmasculine and girly way! HONEST!!

Me and my best friend Rob - in spite of his love for the BoSox

I've really been blessed to have Rob in my life. To find a man who loves the Lord, and especially his Word as much as Rob does is awesome. We've been in ministry together and have gone through some rough times with eachother. We both play guitar and have an insatiable love for reading and studying the bible. We're not perfect, we laugh a lot, we give eachother a hard time, but I've never had a better friend.

Rob and his lucky Red Sox hat

This was a perfect night for Rob and I to go to the game. It was the one-year anniversary of his father's passing. His dad was a big Red Sox fan and passed his love for the team on to his son - much like my dad passed on his love for the Yankees to me. Naturally, the rivalry between the BoSox and the Yankees is a constant topic of teasing between Rob and I. Now that I've pulled away from the Yankees and have decided to follow the Tigers, he doesn't have as much ammo any more - instead, Rob now chooses to just bag on the Cardinals. Rob and I have both lost our dads. It's one more thing that draws us close together.

Live action on the mound

Put 'er right her buddy!

No, I'm not blind - just too cool

The only draw back to FC Field is that the seats are hard. I'm thinking that it would be worth my while to go get one of those portable pads to sit on. I normally have to tank up on drugs before I go, and by the end of the game, I'm almost frozen in this position. But it's worth it. Anything other than baseball wouldn't be worth it... but come on! We're talking about the best sport in the world!
The ONLY insect I'm tight with!

The Bee rarely comes to the upper deck, and in that I had my camera, I got up and shoved a few little kids over the railing to get this shot. (Just kidding - it was only one!) I look like I've gotten fat don't I? Its not even a beer belly! DANG!

Two of the coolest men on earth - and best friends to boot!

Baseball is just one of the many things that Rob and I have in common and that make our friendship so special to me. Rob has been an excellent sounding board, encourager, friend. Friends like Rob rarely come along in life. I've been blessed. I will always have times like this to sustain me through hard times. Rob, I love you and I'm not afraid to tell you that. Thanks for being in my life, and giving me support and encouragement. I hope we have a long future ahead of us!

This is me... take it or leave it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:18 PM

    There is something more wonderful than a ball game. Seeing the Dead with you!

    ReplyDelete