Sunday, April 26, 2009

Guess what?! The Well is STILL full of LIVING WATER!

You know, there are just times when you have to "man-up" and call it like it is... and in the spirit of doing so, I have a confession: I have neglected to gather together with the saints - "...let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near..." (Heb. 10:25) My reasons for doing so are my own, and believe me, they're as lame as you assume them to be - but today, I took that first step to put aside my flesh, and my feelings, and my dislikes, and my fear, and I went to church.

City Church is a new little church meeting in a strip mall. They've done a great job with their space, and the worship is awesome. It allows for reverent soul-searching moments, as well as the fist-pumping excitement that comes from knowing you're redeemed. It's only the second time I've gone there - the first being with Guy Adams, one of my best friends - and today they had a guest speaker. Was it perfect? Was it everything I hoped it would be to supernaturally drag me back into the presence of the King? Well, no - but it was good. And I learned some things, and most importantly, God met me there - and laid His Word on my heart... and I came away more in His presence than I have been in some time.

Why now? Why did I choose to do this today? Well, the answer to that is two-fold. First, I've been blessed to be able to write a column for Examiner.com - covering the Christian scene in Salt Lake City - I'm the Salt Lake Christianity Examiner. Now you tell me... how effective do you think I'll be in that position if I'm not plugged into the body of believers in Salt Lake? Not very effective at all.

Second, the reason I chose now, is I'm tired of using all my past hurts and disappointments as an excuse to exclude corporate worship from my agenda. It's true, I love being anonymous at City Church... little or no baggage comes with sitting there listening to the pastor - but if the truth is to be known, I love Jesus Christ. I'm a believer. I'm saved by the blood of the Lamb, and my name is written in the Lamb's book of Life... this I know. So today for me was more than just covering a beat... it was reconnecting in a public way with the Savior of the world - who died for me. Hebrews 12:1-4 says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge cloud of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting Him, He endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now He is seated in the place of honor beside God's throne. Think of all the hostility He endured from sinful people; then you won't become weary and give up. After all, you have not yet given your lives in your struggle against sin." Yes, after all, I haven't yet given my life in my struggle against sin. And in spite of all of this, I can go to the well, and still receive living water!

I'm NOT saying I'm wonderful, or that I deserve some kind of praise for getting off my spiritual duff and giving my Lord His due in my life. I'm confessing my sin and my lack of endurance, and sharing this one small victory I had in the Lord. I'll be blunt. Today's service wasn't a memorable one - one that will live in my heart as a "most impacting spiritual experience ever!" Factually, I'll likely forget everything in due time - but what all of this signifies is a step in obedience to Him - who has done so very much for me.

Yes, it's a journey - and I'm not alone. Come Lord Jesus, Come!



2 comments:

  1. Im so glad that you are back in fellowship. I believe that the Lord will continue to lift you up to have the strength to particapate in fellowship...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt good to be there Rob. Like I said, it wasn't "earth moving," but it felt good to openly give the Lord His place in my life.

    ReplyDelete