Friday, January 02, 2009

The Testing Has Begun

I think that the Lord is absolutely amazing. A few weeks ago I posted the bit about stress during Christmas. The words of encouragement from the Gospel of Matthew were amazing then, but they're even more amazing to me now.

I lost my job on Tuesday, December 30, 2008, and then lost my insurance coverage the day after on the 31st. With the previous week having to deal with the loss of our brother(& in-law), it was one blow on top of another. I can see how it could cause some to be bitter, and to feel as though the Lord isn't in this, or that He was somehow punishing us, or not protecting us. And if I were totally honest with myself, I'd have to admit I've wondered. But when I spend time in worship, or in prayer, I can't bring myself to point my finger at God. I know that all things work for good to those who love God and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28), but there are times when it's really hard to put your complete trust in those words - and by extension, in God.

Job, and his "friends", Eliphaz, Bildad, and Zophar

I don't believe that God uses coincidence to reach us, but I do believe that there is something called Divine Providence that sometimes causes certain things to align during a trial. I happen to be reading the Book of Job in the Old Testament right now. I read the bible from cover to cover in cycle continually throughout the year, and right now, I happen to be in Job. The elements of the story are not my own, it's true, but who can deny that Job represents all of us when we're down and out? It's hard not to get lost in some of the more abstract comments Job and his friends make, but there are times that something comes out that is so clear, so perfect, so applicable, that you just know that the Lord was drawing your eyes and heart to the passage. For instance, this morning in my reading, I came across some very uncharacteristic words from Eliphaz - who is normally a "look dude, you're obviously so steeped in sin that God is slapping you around to punish you" kind of guy, that I had to read it a couple time to ensure I was understanding! this is what he said:

“Stop quarreling with God! If you agree with him, you will have peace at last, and things will go well for you. Listen to his instructions, and store them in your heart. If you return to the Almighty and clean up your life, you will be restored. Give up your lust for money, and throw your precious gold into the river. Then the Almighty himself will be your treasure. He will be your precious silver!

“Then you will delight yourself in the Almighty and look up to God. You will pray to him, and he will hear you, and you will fulfill your vows to him. Whatever you decide to do will be accomplished, and light will shine on the road ahead of you." (Job 22: 21-28)

I'm not quarreling with God, but I do seek His peace. I need to listen to his instructions and store them in my heart. It says that I should give up my lust for money - to basically toss it into the rushing river, and God Himself would be my precious gold and silver... He will be my treasure! At a time like this when I'm wondering where the next mortgage payment is coming from, and if I'll be able to keep the lights on, I felt encouraged by these words and want, more than anything, for the Lord to be my all in all - my treasure! Not only that, but I want Him to hear my prayers, and I want to fulfill my vows to Him, and to know that whatever I decide will be accomplished (within His will of course), and most of all, that His light would shine on my road ahead! I needed this. I needed it bad.

Knowing that I'm not to worry about what I'm going to eat, wear, live etc. and knowing that He will light my path, gives me the strength I need to stand up today, and tomorrow, and place one foot in front of another to do what it will take to provide for my family, and that as long as I'm on my knees before Him, He will hear me, will be my treasure, and will be my light.

Yes, it's a scary time for us. We don't know what will happen. But I believe I've been called according to God's purpose, and I know that I love Him. Therefore, I know that things will be alright.

We're told that:

“The rain and snow come down from the heavens and stay on the ground to water the earth. They cause the grain to grow, producing seed for the farmer and bread for the hungry. It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it. You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees of the field will clap their hands! Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow. Where briers grew, myrtles will sprout up. This miracle will bring great honor to the LORD’S name; it will be an everlasting sign of his power and love." (Isaiah 55:10-13 - NLT)

And,

“For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it." (Is. 55:10-11 NKJV)
I am standing in faith that God has my best interests at heart. That doesn't mean my life it goingt to be "trial free," but rather that I won't have to go through those trials on my own.

I'm on my life's journey, it's true... I've got wonderful travel companions, and the Lord to direct it all. In that, I will rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment