Monday, January 12, 2009

Just HOW Important Is Faith?

During this time of socio-economic melt-down in our country, it's easy to get sucked up into the "Chicken Little" syndrome and run around screaming "the sky is falling! the sky is falling!" Which of course can't be considered exercising any faith at all, but when you think about it, it's practically the only thing those of us NOT in control can do - after all, we're on this rollercoaster built by politicians, and people who don't have OUR best interests at heart.

How does God look at "Chicken Little" faith? Can he honor the kind of faith that only sees a glass half full? Can he work within the confines of your faith if all the faith you can muster is to give up, throw your hands in the air, and begin looking forward to December 21, 2012? Jesus tells us that it only takes a VERY little bit of faith - that of a mustard seed,

“I assure you, even if you had faith as small as a mustard seed you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.” (Matt. 17:20)
But what if you're like a lot of us out there - where even "mustering up" even a mustard seed's worth of faith is hard right now? The best advice I can give is to TRY. Why? Well, if only a little bit of faith can move a mountain, and all you're trying to do it make to through the day, it would take so much less than moving a mountain - right?

I know this sounds simplistic, but I'd like to share something with you I came across in the Word this morning. As I was reading in Isaiah, I came across an amazing passage that I'd read several times before, but suddenly, it jumped out at me this morning. In chapter 7, verse 9 near the end, it says,
"Unless your faith is firm, I cannot make you stand firm." (NLT)
It says it slightly different in other translations, but it really spoke to my heart this morning. If I don't have firm faith - even if it's a little less than a mustard seed's worth - the Lord cannot use that faith to help us stand firm in the face of adversity! "Unless your faith is firm, I cannot make you stand firm!" Think about it! The Lord desires to bless us - he wants good for us, and blesses us continually. But when we're facing an uphill struggle, and it seems impossible to reach the top, exercise a little faith - make sure it's firm - and trust that the Lord will make you stand firm through the trial!

I love this picture... a fortification - BUILT ON THE ROCK!

"Standing firm" to me speaks of being established, of being fortified, of being braced for whatever may come our way. Only God knows what our future's hold, and if He's willing to help us stand firm through through the experience at the cost of a little faith on our part, who wouldn't search their heart and see if they can't find a little bit of faith in the dusty corners of our hearts?

Who wouldn't go and seek out where their faith can be bolstered? Who wouldn't do what it took to find that little bit of faith to show forth firm to the Lord, trusting that he will establish us? I know I will. I must.

A little faith... firmly established in your heart, will cause the Great Lord and Master of all Creation to take notice of you, your situation, and your needs, and move Him to make you stand firm through it all. What an amazing promise. Find the faith friends. Put your trust in the Lord, and watch His hand at work in your situation.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment