Saturday, July 11, 2009

I've just had a brush with eternity!

Dramatic title, huh?

What I'm talking about though, is the wonderful Father's Day gift I received from my beloved and my youngest, Zach! They blessed me with two months of oil-painting lessons from one of Utah's best artists - She is currently painting all the portraits of the Federal Judges in Utah!

Anyway, I've always wanted to paint in oils! I've painted a lot in watercolors, and done a lot of digital stuff, but always dreamed of learning to paint in oils. So, the first night was great. Our assignment was to paint a tree. We were shown many different styles of trees done by other artists to get ideas, and then we were cut loose!

I had to laugh while I was doing this... I was imagining Bob Rosse (sp?) putting a "happy little branch here, and maybe his little friend goes there..." and realized I was doing the same thing. I suddenly became very self-conscious and reflected on how I was acting... I peeked around the class and was relieved to see there were other "Rosse-ites" in the class as many of them appeared to be putting their "happy little something or others" here and there, and following it up with a "lovely puffy cloud" swish, followed by a self-approving little nod. I WAS NOT ALONE! I finished my tree... with some embellishments, and had time to brush in an awesome background on a new canvas for next week's class... it's a wonderful gradation in red... and the brush strokes that make oils so wonderful, are fascinating to me... any way, I gush...

Anyway, I thought, if for no other reason than my own self-amusement and interest, that I would post my assignments here, and hope for feedback? And to record any improvements... IF they come! Check them out!

Red fade brush stroke details

Assignment #1: Paint a tree... It turned out to be an old oak with Spanish moss...

Another view of the red fade and brush strokes

Detail of the tree... No, they're not fence posts...

Tree painting shown from a distance for perspective

A very fast test painting in Corel Painter X - first time using the Bamboo Wacom Tab

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! you didn't show mw the tree. It is beautiful!! I love it. I wish that I had known that Mom and Zach were doing this for you.. I really would have loved to pitch in and be part of it. You have so much talent!!

    ReplyDelete